Monday, July 21, 2014

Jesse's Girl Glow Stix Tangerine

Jesse's Girl Glow Stix. The lipgloss you'd never have thought you'd need, until you see it in the way back area of Rite Aid's beauty section, glowing like bottled toxic waste in the most enticing way possible.

Jesse's Girl Glow Stix come in several shades of liquid rave; today I am showing you Tangerine. I believe Jesse's Girl is a Rite Aid exclusive brand whose lipgloss line retails for $4.99

While called "Tangerine", there are strong green and blue tones to this gloss. In the tube it changes from a bright orange to the above pictured aqua, pink, and green. As you might imagine, to get any of the rainbow to show up it needs to be built up. Two layers give a nice effect, but it will easily slide off when eating or drinking. At one layer, this is simply a really cool clear gloss that will make people stare if you apply in public. 


Above is two layers on lips. Below is one swipe on the left and two on the right with an example of the color change.

Now, for a novelty gloss, one could argue that $4.99 is a small price to pay. But I was really surprised at how little product you really get. .05 oz or 1.5 ml. For reference: Milani's new gloss range retails for $5.49 and you get .21 oz of product. Four times as much and not even a dollar more. NYC's City Proof Extended Wear gloss range comes in at even just a bit more: .22 oz for $2.99. I haven't personally tried the NYC gloss rage, but Milani is one of my favorites. For just a normal colored gloss, I would definitely go for Milani or NYC over Jesse's Girl. But, you know, you can't find bottled unicorn pee in other brands, so if you want to try one of the Glow Stix range glosses, $4.99 is no real tragedy. 


Above I've just shown the thin tube that is encased by the larger, clear tube and also how filled the bottle is when the brush isn't in it. Not very appealing. Hmm...



One last thing I felt I'd mention was the brush. I know a lot of people complain about the brushes, and that the bristles can be really wonky and messed up sometimes. Luckily, fate graced me that day and my brush was perfectly fine. It picks up a lot of product, which is nice if you're building up color, but swatches of other colors in this range appear very opaque. I believe Jesse's Girl is trying to switch to a traditional doe foot applicator which I think will be a very good move. 

Jesse's Girl Glow Stix in Tangerine is an incredibly unique color that will turn heads in the tube, but on the lips might pose a bit of a disappointment. The wear time isn't great- the rainbow effect might last an hour or two at best if applied heavily. If applied thinly, I can still feel this for about 3 hours. I find it more hydrating than drying, but not enough to put in place of a balm. As a clear gloss, I would be happy with the quality. The price per product amount? Definitely not.  

-Val

No comments:

Post a Comment