Friday, August 29, 2014

Revlon Moisture Stains in India Intrigue and New York Scene

Revlon: Ruling lip queen of the drugstore kingdom. From their Super Lustrous lip range, to their legendary lip butters, and of course the Colorburst Balm stick ranges (stains, mattes, and otherwise), Revlon has always had their lip game on point. And now they present to us a new foray into pout polish: a... Moisture Stain?


Oh my god. First things first, that name is revolting. No pretty pictures there. But besides that little blip, this line of stains comes in a range of pinks and reds as well as a bit of purple, nude, and coral. I have to say the packaging is what really sold me. I love the sleek, modern vibe that is unusually classy for a drugstore product.


Above are New York Scene, a dark ever-so-slightly warm red creme, and India Intrigue, a strongly blue toned pink that applies very purple with a very unnoticeable gold shimmer. 


These retail for $9.99, which is steeper on the drugstore price range, but on par for Revlon's lip products. Walgreens had a $2 off coupon in their July book that you can pick up on store, so I utilized that, as well as a rare 40% off sale. 


These definitely have a unique formula among lip products. These could be compared to the L'Oreal Color Caresse Wet Shine Stains. I have a few of them and I'd say the main difference is that the L'Oreal colors get a bit "gummy" feeling, you know what I mean? The Revlon stains stay pretty slick and creamy feeling, whereas the L'Oreal stains feel a bit like rubber when you rub your lips together (which isn't as uncomfortable as you'd think- though I definitely prefer to Revlon formula. L'oreal has some more wearable colors though). 

From the two colors I have, the consistency varies between colors. New York Scene is very translucent and has a good amount of slip to it, while India Intrigue is very creamy and much thicker, though not problematically so. Two coats darkens up New York Scene, while one coat is generally good for India Intrigue (though I used two for good measure in the below swatches). The applicator has been described as "heart shaped" but I say it is much more "elongated pentagon" shaped. "Heart shaped", that's cute though. 


As you can see, the shimmer in India Intrigue is very prominent in the swatch. I actually had no idea there was any shimmer until I saw this picture- applied to your lips it looks straight up creme. New York Scene is a much more "juicy" shade: very shiny with a bit of translucency.



Above is two coats of New York Scene, and then after about six hours of wear. As you can see, it fades very evenly, something I was completely prepared to be disappointed about. It is obviously not even close to looking fresh applied, but as far as wear goes, what more could one ask? Thick, glossy type products usually wear away nearly instantly, but having that nice, even stain is a definite plus. 



Here is India Intrigue, freshly applied and after about four or five hours of wear (I can assure you, as I'm writing this I've been wearing it about seven hours and it looks much the same). It settles into the lip lines a tiny bit more than New York Scene, but it's not something you'd notice unless you're up real  close. These to colors are in the darker/brighter shade range, which will obviously stain stronger and wear better than a nude or pale color would (most of the shades in this range are dark/pigmented, so good job Revlon knowing your limits. You'll never get a baby pink stain, I'm sorry, the technology doesn't exist ((YET))). 

All in all I'd say these are some pretty good offerings from Revlon, and if you're wondering about picking one up, I say go for it! I'm not usually into a glossy lip color, but one that wears as well as these make me reconsider. Plus, even having to touch up the color isn't too bad when you have that cute packaging to look at. 



No comments:

Post a Comment